>Crusade 45 – Back to back

In this month’s crusade, Michelle asks us to make colour copies of the backgrounds we made in the previous months. With those copies, we are asked to fill the pages with different techniques/supplies. Here is my original background for this first round:
Here is my first version, on a colour copy:
I used images from magazine that I had previously cut and put in folders. For the face, I painted with gesso and acrylic over the features to alter the image. I did my usual scallop border with black Poster Paint marker and very little journaling.
My second version, also on a copy:
Here, I drew, coloured and cut out some tea cups from a book page. I also cut some steam from the book page. Before gluing the cups down, I added some more texture to the background. A foam stamp with acrylic paint, paint through a circle stencil, stamping with my heart shaped brush cleaner and a bit of paint spatter with a toothbrush. I glued the cups and steam down and drew my wavy journaling lines. Then I wrote my text with my black Poster Paint marker and added white on a few letters. After everything was done, I realized that I had worked on the background upside down so good thing it wasn’t in my journal!
I haven’t done anything to the original background yet but I will. And I’ll keep playing with colour copies of my previous backgrounds because I really enjoyed this process. It gave me a good opportunity to try different things and to see which kind of page I like best. In this case, I’m partial to the “tea” page.
À mes lectrices francophones: je suis désolée de ne pas traduire cet article en entier. Brièvement: Michelle nous a demandé de faire des copies couleurs de nos fonds faits dans les derniers mois et de travailler dessus avec différentes techniques. J’ai fait deux pages avec des copies du fond vu ci-haut mais je n’ai pas encore utilisé l’original. Si vous avez des questions à propos de ces pages, ne vous gênez pas pour les laisser dans les commentaires et je vous répondrai soit par courriel soit dans les commentaires. Merci de votre compréhension.
Advertisements

25 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Michelle L.
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 13:11:52

>Ooh – copies of backgrounds! what a cool idea! Your versions look fantastique.

2. michelle ward
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 20:23:01

>Sophie – great work! How fun to see two different applications on your background. Love hearing that you like the second one better – that means it was a valuable exercise! I love the steam cut from text – very cool. Thanks for sharing your work with the team, and including a photo of the original background!

3. lee
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 22:27:14

>oh I love those pages the colour makes them pop off the page, and I love how you showed two ways to do it.

4. Melissa
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 23:53:08

>I'm partial to the tea page too…

5. johanna
    Oct 09, 2010 @ 03:14:05

>i also like the second one better… love the waves of text writing and the cups with the steam cut out of text pages really look great! love the original background also!!

6. Jackie
    Oct 09, 2010 @ 03:48:36

>Isn't this fun! My favourite is also the second – love that steam!

7. cathsheard
    Oct 09, 2010 @ 17:39:29

>That red is awesome! I like both versions, but I'm with you – there's something extra about the tea one. Perhaps the strong contrast of the teacup colours?

8. Jessica
    Oct 09, 2010 @ 23:32:16

>Hello Sophie, Both of these pages have a lot of charm to them, the second one could almost be an amazing invitation to a tea party. Looking forward to future crusades!Jessica

9. CeeCee
    Oct 10, 2010 @ 12:24:37

>Ah, yes! I've seen them in real life and they are spectacular. Like Melissa, I too am partial to the tea page but they are both stunning!

10. VStarRider
    Oct 10, 2010 @ 19:26:58

>I like them both, but I love the "movement" of the second one better. It has an interesting rhythm to it….thanks for sharing your process, too!Cindi

11. Lizbethem
    Oct 11, 2010 @ 08:01:09

>Super art, Sophie!

12. ArtfulLee Designed
    Oct 11, 2010 @ 18:45:12

>Sophie, these pages are great. I like the idea of using a copy to work through different ideas. Thanks for sharing what you did. I love my heart shaped brush cleaner as a stamp also.Lee:)

13. Janet
    Oct 11, 2010 @ 22:27:13

>Wow….these are great! I love the red background.

14. Brigitte aka Scrappassie
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 06:47:13

>Beautiful !! I love the different pages you did with the one background, they totally look awesome. Well done !

15. linda
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 09:16:34

>Oh wow, talk about completely different styles and looks from the same bold background!

16. daisy
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 10:52:09

>What a lovely vivid background. I luv the tea cups & steam.

17. Marble Blue
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 17:19:28

>I am glad you showed the original copy as well as the finished pieces – great to see where they started from. I adore the wavy journaling on the 2nd one – very my cup of tea (hahaha)

18. Kari Desi
    Oct 25, 2010 @ 00:38:39

>Both of your backgrounds are great. Especially the teacup one with the wavy journaling. Very cool!

19. Mona
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 17:24:51

>oh sophie … the colors are absolutely marvellous. Tres jolies tes pages.

20. goudenregen
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:52:57

>Love the way you used magazine images in the first and the text in the second is great.

21. jgr
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 16:24:43

>Gorgeous!! and what a fabulous red-so rich.

22. TJ
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 14:25:54

>Wow these are beautiful on those red backgrounds! I love seeing what the other Crusaders make, it's so fun and inspiring. Happy creations from germany, tj (sorry if this posted twice… it's giving me trouble…)

23. scj
    Oct 30, 2010 @ 12:55:49

>I really like these pages – so vibrant and alive and full of contrasts. Thanks for sharing.

24. fabricfan
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 02:08:30

>I really like your pages, that red was wonderful to work with. I love the writing on the 2nd one, neat flow and ebb.

25. Regina
    Nov 02, 2010 @ 00:49:00

>These are wonderful pages. Such a dark red background would be challenging, but you have made it look easy.